Monday, January 3, 2011

Apples (A true story)

Apples
By Auntie B 7/16/10

Some boys I used to teach
Played with the apples in their lunch.
Tossed them 'round like baseballs--
They were quite a rowdy bunch.

I asked them why they did that
And they replied, "Well, duh!
We hate them. We won't eat them,
So what else should we do? Huh?"

I said, "Give me your apples,
And I'll take them away.
But you may all change your minds."
They said, "That'll be the day!"

The next day I returned
With their apples in a pan,
But I hid them from the boys
You see, I had a little plan.

When lunchtime came around
I asked, "Now who would like to eat
The apples you got yesterday
As an extra special treat?"

Well, no one raised their hands.
They laughed and joked instead,
"If we didn't want them yesterday,
Why would we now?" They said.

"'Cause you never know how things can change
With a little bit of work.
Let's make a bet," I offered,
As I tried to hide my smirk.

"When you look at your apples,
I'll bet you'll want a taste
But if you do, first you must promise
That from now on, you won't waste.

The boys all laughed and said, "Yeah sure!"
They couldn't stop their jeering
Until I brought out my surprise
And jeering turned to cheering!

I took a knife and cut a slice
And said, "You see, right there?
Those are all your apples!
"For real?" They asked
"I swear."

Right away they realized
That I hadn't told a lie
Yes, you should have seen their faces
As they ate their apple pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment